ADTRAN's Pluggable Optics portfolio consists of over 400 optical plugs that provide a wide array of deployment options in terms of Interface Speeds, Distances, and Transmission Media, including Multimode (MM) Fiber, Single Mode (SM) Fiber, Copper, and Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) Fiber Interfaces.
For more information, see the ADTRAN Pluggable Optics and Use of Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics sections below.
ADTRAN Pluggable Optics
ADTRAN network equipment is designed for optimum system performance and reliability when used with ADTRAN Pluggable Optics (SFP, CSFP, SFP+, XFP, QSFP+, QSFP28). ADTRAN continuously evaluates Pluggable Optics from various component suppliers in an effort to ensure:
- Availability of appropriate options for our customers
- Performance over the stated operating temperature ranges
- Compliance with industry standards, such as NEBS, FCC, ITU-T IEEE
- Optical network performance, including OSNR (Optical Signal to Noise Ratio), Saturation Dispersion tolerances
- Compatibility with connected equipment
- Integration with system diagnostic reporting
All ADTRAN Pluggable Optics are covered by a minimum one-year warranty. All are either Industrial or Commercial Temperature Rated.
- Commercial Temperature Rated parts are denoted with a trailing "C", for example 1442981G1C
- Those with part numbers not ending in "C" are Industrial Temperature Rated
Bi-Directional Pluggable Optics:
- Are provided in pairs with part numbers that only differ in their designation as G1 or G2
- G1 transmits at the higher wavelength (for example, 1490 nm)
- G2 transmits at the lower wavelength (for example, 1310 nm)
2.67 Gbps SFP Pluggable Optics:
- Support OTU1 OTN rates in addition to OC-48 and STM-16
11.3 Gbps XFP and SFP+ Pluggable Optics:
- Support OTU2 OTN rates in addition to 10 GE, OC-192, STM-64, and 10 G FC (Fibre Channel)
40 Gbps QSFP+ Pluggable Optics:
- Support 4x10 GE or 40 GE signaling
100 Gbps QSFP28 Pluggable Optics:
- Support 100 GE signaling.
Multi-Rate Pluggable Optics:
- Some ADTRAN Pluggable Optics that are specified as Multi-Rate support lower speeds as specified in their description.
Use of Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics
ADTRAN provides this information to our customers because of our commitment to total quality and customer satisfaction.
Third-Party Pluggable Optics in ADTRAN Products
To protect our customers and their networks from potentially detrimental effects caused by non-ADTRAN optics, ADTRAN products provide the indications and alarms described below.
- Transport Systems (OPTI, ONE): Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics - lasers remain off, plus Major alarm.
- Broadband Systems: Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics lasers remain on, plus Major alarm. All traffic passes.
- GPON, AE modules: Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics lasers remain of, plus Major alarm.
- New ADTRAN modules, such as the TA5000/5006 SM40 and SM200, TA5004 MSM, 1148VX, and 1148VX-DMT, will not allow data and video traffic (i.e., customer services), and a non-clearable "Major Alarm" will be generated. However, when the unit is in this state, remote management is still allowed and the laser is enabled.
- OPTI-6100 modules: Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics lasers cause the generation of a mismatch alarm.
- All other modules: Non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics lasers remain off, plus Major alarm.
ADTRAN's qualification of optical products is improved continuously due to our adherence to internal quality practices. Most optical qualifications do not pass our standards on the first attempt and result in improvements via multiple hardware revisions or working with our component suppliers for more durable manufacturing processes.
Pluggable Optics from the open market Labeled as ADTRAN-Compatible
- ADTRAN neither sells nor endorses Pluggable Optics labeled as "ADTRAN-compatible."
- All ADTRAN optics are made available for sale from our distribution channel partners or ADTRAN qualified resellers only.
- Technical assistance or warranty support will not be provided for ADTRAN systems that are using non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics.
- We encourage our customers to guard themselves against, and avoid copy-cat products in order to prevent unwanted interruptions in network and subscriber services.
- Pluggable Optics labeled as ADTRAN-compatible likely use components that would not pass ADTRAN's test criteria for compatibility, performance or standards compliance.
- To ensure system/network integrity, ADTRAN continues to increase compatibility verification features associated with Pluggable Optics to inhibit the use of non-ADTRAN Pluggable Optics.
Again, ADTRAN cautions Service Providers and network solutions providers to avoid counterfeit optics vendors and to purchase from a known ADTRAN supplier.
For questions or concerns, please contact your ADTRAN sales representative.